Monday, February 6, 2012

How Come Every Filipino Immigrant In The U.S Speaks English, But The Same Came Not Be Said For Hispanics ?

I have never met a Filipino immigrant living in the U.S who cannot speak English, I am sure they exist but it is probably extremely rare. However I have come across many Hispanics in the U.S who either no habla Ingles or they only know a few simple basic words that are not enough to form a full blown conversation.How Come Every Filipino Immigrant In The U.S Speaks English, But The Same Came Not Be Said For Hispanics ?
Hispanic illegals (any many others) have no desire to be Americans.
Agree. I have three Hispanic/migrant families in my caseload. For the last TEN years. The moms still can't speak English with me. any English. And the other international families that moved here. speaking some English in the 1st year. By the third year we have no problem communicating. The Hispanic families, I have to find an interpreter and forms in Spanish. Drives me nuts. They say they cannot understand any of my Spanish. Sure, I slaughter the language, and the dialect I learned is Caribbean. But come on. TEN YEARS! learn English!!How Come Every Filipino Immigrant In The U.S Speaks English, But The Same Came Not Be Said For Hispanics ?
America kept the Philippines as a military base after the Spanish-American War.





"The American government had reassured the Filipino rebels that the U.S. was interested only in defeating Spain and, in the process, helping the Filipinos gain their independence[14]. President McKinley publicly announced that annexation of the Philippines, "by our code of morality, would be criminal aggression." But after Spain was defeated, the United States turned against the Filipino rebels and took control of the Philippines, converting it into a US colony with the excuse that Filipinos were incapable of self-government. McKinley explained that "... there was nothing left for us to do but to take them all, and to educate the Filipinos, and to uplift and civilize and Christianize them," in spite of the fact that the Philippines had been already Christianized for centuries."







For some reason, the U.S. didn't feel similar bases were necessary in Central or South America.How Come Every Filipino Immigrant In The U.S Speaks English, But The Same Came Not Be Said For Hispanics ?
As far as I know, English is used A LOT in the Philippines.



All of my mom's Filipino soap operas she watches on her computer (they're all shows made in the Philippines, not American-made shows) interchangeably use English.



I don't know if I can say the same for Mexican or Spanish shows.
my wife is filipina, have been there several times; english and tagalog are required languages in schools beginning grammar school, tho most kids speak english poorly; most people forget that the usa owned those islands for 48 years; read 'in our image', stanley karnow, to learn more
Seriously. I understand your point, but I am Hispanic. That means I am from Spain. Mexicans and South Americans are from Latin America. Latinos are from Latin America. Hispanics are from Hispaniola. I learned english as a matter of fact I don't know any Spaniards who don't.
English is one of the primary languages of the Phillipine islands. Something like 85% of filipinos speak english. Tagalog is the main language, but english is not far behind it.
You're making a bunch of assumptions based on your own experiences.
Because the only preparation many of them make for coming here is to buy a good pair of wall-scaling boots
Viva La Raza.

No comments:

Post a Comment